Today in engineering, we had new students come to the build space for the first time. We had them go to ten different stations: batteries, CAD, Programming, Chop Saw/ Band Saw, Drill Press / Sander, Electrical / Pneumatics, Marketing / Media, Hand Drill/ Riveting, and Hand Tools/ Supplies. It was a great introduction and all of the students got to see all aspects of our team. Thank you to Dan, Ankit, Sahas, Ivan, Ali, James, Peter, Rahul, Amy, Charvi, Josh, Neel, and Yanis for leading the stations.
Posts in category Engineering Blog
Today, we spent the meeting planning stations for the new students to visit on Saturday. We decided stations, length of stations, leads of stations, and importance. We then began setting up the stations so they will be ready in the morning.
Today in engineering, we toured a few new students around the building space, organized the build space, and worked on Veronica.
There were only a few new students today because our first official meeting for new students is next Saturday. However, we toured them around the build space and showed them what we do. They will be allowed to start learning hands-on next week, after their safety training.
We spent a few hours cleaning the build space. From organizing nut and bolts to vacuuming and sweeping our shop, we made sure our build space looked pristine for us to be able to work in a clean and safe environment.
On Veronica, we created the base of the winch, mounted motors, created and mounted shields for the gearbox, and created and installed a pneumatic board shield. We are making great progress on Veronica and are looking forward to the decision day between Veronica and Clockwork on October 7!
Today in engineering, we worked primarily on Veronica.
We began with a quick meeting reviewing what has been done and needs to be done during that meeting. We had finished vision (with a slight memory issue) and the basics of coding. We still had to update the gear mechanism (Ankit), add shields on the drivetrain (Ash and Rahul), create a battery mount (Pooja and Charvi), add two talons in electrical (Ash, Isabelle, and Rahul), create the winch (Ali and Zuha), and install solenoids and cameras.
By the end of the meeting, we had cleaned our build space, made mounts for the new gear mechanism, worked on the beginning of Veronica’s winch, made serious progress on the wire management of Veronica, made and installed the battery mount, and made the gearbox shield.
Today in engineering, we spent time on Veronica and preparing for the car washes.
On Veronica, we spent time continuing to work on improving the gear mechanism prototype. We also worked on adding two talons. While working on the talons, we also taught a few members about more details regarding our electrical system.
For the car wash, we made multiple signs. We are looking forward to a good turnout!!
Happy Labor Day! Today in engineering, we worked on Veronica’s wiring, solenoids, compressors. We also taught wiring and created and tested our gear mechanism. We also began planning more to introduce our new members to our team.
Today in engineering, we worked on Veronica, Clockwork, and some other miscellaneous things around the build space. On Veronica, we changed a talon, opened a gearbox to replace its wave washer, and adjusted the swing on the gearbox motors. On Clockwork, we took off a winch motor to test different stages on it for the most effective climb and created a Lexan guard for the winch because the old on had been broken. Around the build space, we created a shelf, organized the space, and disassembled Veronica’s old hopper for spare parts.
Today in engineering, we worked on Clockwork, disassembled old robots, and began making decisions for THOR.
On Clockwork, we made yet another change to the winch by adding a CIM with a 45:1 ratio. This makes it climb in six to seven seconds. Rahul and Yanis also worked on wiring for Clockwork.
Zuha, Isabelle, and Peter spent the meeting disassembling our old hopper. This was primarily done to salvage motors as well as reusable pieces of sheet metal and gussets.
For THOR, we established a general idea of who would be on drive team and in the pit crew. We also made the deadline of deciding which robot to take on October 7.
Today in engineering, we went to our high school’s football game. Here we shot t-shirts into the stands with our constantly improving t-shirt cannon. We had a blast and brought some excitement to the game! It’s a great day to be a falcon!
Click below for a video of one of our shots!
Today in engineering, we worked mostly on the t-shirt cannon and a little bit on veronica.
On the t-shirt cannon, we tested our six barrel shooter to make sure it would effectively shoot over the wall we would be behind during the football game. Although it was mostly successful, we didn’t want to take a risk or wait the amount of time needed to build up pressure between shots. Due to that, we changed it back to the one barrel system. We then continued to continue testing accuracy and efficiency, making the small adjustments to improve these two qualities. One way we improved these was by changing the trigger time so that the shots had more effective pressure behind them.
On Veronica, we finished up the basics of the chassis. All components of wiring, motors, gearboxes, chains, and more are finished. All that is left is to add on and wire together the mechanisms such as the winch, the gear mechanism, and a potential shooter. We did not begin on the mechanisms today, instead, we practiced driving and continued making slight adjustments to make sure we were driving smoothly.